Searching for Jobs and Internships
Are you looking for a job or internship? Our office can provide you with resources and support throughout your search. Schedule an appointment with a Career Adviser to review your resume or cover letter, or check out some of our online and print resources to find opportunities and prepare yourself for the future. To learn more about finding jobs and internships, check out these resources:
Earlham College Career Education Office: Job Search Strategies Resource
Earlham College Career Education Office: Internship Resource
To find opportunities, start with these resources:
- Earlham Internships - Earlham internship programs include Richmond Summer, Indiana Pathways, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Kenlee Ray Library and Archives, Asia Tech Source China, and more.
- Visit our Resource Toolbox to find more job and internship search resources. Please note that some resources may require you to log in or enter an access code; our office can provide you with this information.
- Log in to Symplicity, our office's online opportunity posting system. Find jobs, internships, service, and research opportunities; upload your resume and cover letter; and apply directly through this system.
Resumes and CVs
A resume or curriculum vitae (CV) communicates your story to a potential employer, graduate school admissions office, or other person or organization. In the Career Education Office, we can help you articulate your story effectively through one-on-one appointments, workshops, and more.
Do you just have a few questions about resumes which you need answered right away? Our Peer Career Advisers are available for drop-in advising during these hours.
Our office also provides free resume printing for Earlham students. Contact Kim Wills to learn more.
Build Your Resume
A resume is a one- to two-page document which highlights your relevant experiences and accomplishments. Check out this resource to learn more about how to build a resume:
Earlham College Career Education Office: Resume Resource
Create a CV
A curriculum vitae, or CV, is an overview of your accomplishments and experiences, usually with an emphasis on academics and research. Unlike a resume, a CV can extend past two pages. Check out this resource to learn more about how to build a CV:
Earlham College Career Education Office: CV Resource
NOTE: In some countries, the term CV refers to a brief, resume-like document of one to two pages in length, not the academic CV described here.
A cover letter (also called a motivational letter) is a document often submitted to an organization alongside a resume or CV. The cover letter aims to:
- Inform the person to whom you are writing that you are seeking a position at his/her organization
- Provide information about your own background and relevant skills
- Demonstrate how your skills and experiences integrate with the employer's needs
Cover Letter Resources
Our Cover Letter Handout
Our Cover Letter Pinterest Board
Interviews, whether in-person or via phone or Skype, are an integral part of the job search process. If you are looking for more information about preparing for an interview or would like to practice your skills in a mock interview, schedule an appointment with a Career Adviser.
Do you have a Skype or phone interview coming up? Contact our office and we can help you find a quiet space to conduct your interview, as well as provide you with the appropriate equipment.
Need to find some professional clothes before you head to the interview? Check out the new Free Store Professional Closet. Located in the basement of Runyan, the Free Store is a great resource for students looking for clothes, books, bedding, and more--and now you'll find a designated rack of professional clothes and shoes, as well. Pick up a brochure on what (not) to wear to that big interview as you shop the Free Store Professional Closet. If you have clean, gently worn professional clothes you no longer wear, consider donating them to the Professional Closet. Just drop them off at the front desk of the CIL, and we'll take them from there.
Our Interviewing Handout
Our Interview Advice Pinterest Board