Throughout the year, our office provides transportation to regional job fairs in the surrounding area.
Job fairs are a great way for you to:
- Find out about organizations,
- Learn of types of positions and careers available,
- Explore the job market,
- Practice your interviewing and networking skills, and
- Promote yourself to the world.
We are here to help you go in prepared, practiced and ready to put your best foot forward in:
- Developing your resume,
- Bringing your networking cards,
- Strategically targeting the organizations that interest you, and
- Being prepared for an interview.
Preparing for an internship and job fair
- Explore ahead of time the organizations attending the fair. (i.e., positions available and your top picks)
- Research the organizations and companies of interest to you and be able to talk and ask intelligent questions that you otherwise could not find on the web.
- Resumes — refine and update for the direction(s) and career fields to which you wish to apply and bring plenty of copies. Do not include “References available upon request.”
- Practice your introduction and be prepared to include a bit about your skills, experience, objective and effective match with the organization. Be prepared with questions about the organization and industry; be engaged; then get the contact information and move on to the next one.
- Dress appropriately for the professional situation. Bring a folder with notepaper and pen for taking notes and being prepared to follow up.
- Follow up within 24 hours of making a contact; email mentioning the event and when and where it was, thank them for their time, remind them what you spoke of, and that you are following up to for whatever purpose. Make sure to also ask for any other references that may help you in your search.