- Prior to an interview, research the organization, grad school, career field or department. Be prepared to mention some of the good points that fit your interest or things that you are excited to learn.
- Practice your interviewing skills before you do the real thing. The Career Education office can assist you in mock interviews.
- Dress for the interview, the company culture and the setting.
- Bring with you to the interview extra resumes, a folder with paper and a pen, a portfolio with samples of your work, awards and other relevant material for the position. Be prepared with questions you have for the employer. Do not ask questions that are easily found on the web site or other material you were given. Ask about the next steps.
- Write a brief but effective Thank You letter as soon as you finish the interview. Thank them for their time. Indicate your continued interest in the position, and reiterate some part of a conversation during the interview that helps you stand out.
For help with interviewing, make an appointment with our office.