"Education is not preparation for future living; education is life itself." ~ John Dewey
The Center for Integrated Learning facilitates Earlham's commitment to active, socially engaged, transformative education through the promotion of student-focused experiential learning working collaboratively with faculty, alumni, and community partners.
The Center achieves this mission through careful coordination and collaboration of a variety of offices and partnerships including alumni relations, career education, civic engagement, outdoor education, and sustainability.
In support of the CIL mission, we aim to:
- Empower students to get the very most out of their Earlham education through big picture thinking, values-framed inquiry, and deep intellectual engagement
- Work closely with faculty to generate transformative, high-impact experiential learning grounded in the liberal arts for all students
- Collaborate with community partners to build capacity while creating an exceptional education for our students through service, research, and pre-professional opportunities
- Promote and enhance student and community well-being through holistic education that aims to integrate individual, social, spiritual, and intellectual forms of learning and engagement
- Become a leader and national resource for the theory and practice of integrated, experiential learning in higher education.