(40 hours total)
Sundays, 11 a.m. - 6:15 p.m. (Break 1-2 p.m.), 6 hrs x 2 = 12 hrs;
Wednesdays, 6 - 9 p.m., 3 hrs x 8 weeks = 24 hrs
Plus: Outside of class small group practice 2 hrs and team meeting w/supervisors = 2 hrs
Day 1 — Wednesday, September 7, 6 - 9 p.m.
- Welcome (Cheryl, Trayce, Jessica, Andrea) Introduce working group, other staff/faculty
- Introduction to training, agenda, expectations, concerns; supervisors’ roles
- Overview EC policies/protocols (Andrea): Reporting, Clery Act, confidentiality exceptions
Day 2 — Wednesday, September 14, 6 - 9 p.m.
- Survivor advocate: Roles, motivations, limitations, boundaries, triggers, vicarious trauma
- Effective communication skills: Rapport, active listening, questioning, responding
Day 3 — Sunday, September 18, 11 a.m. - 6:15 p.m. (Break 1 - 2:15 p.m.)
- Sexual assault in society: Overview of sexual assault, offenders, and survivors
- Survivor responses: Short term, Rape trauma syndrome, long term, counter-intuitive
- Acute versus chronic effects; Responding to recent vs. longer term survivors
Day 4 — Wednesday, September 21, 6 - 9 p.m.
- Crisis intervention: Techniques, limitations, differences from counseling/therapy
Day 5 — Wednesday, September 28, 6 - 9 p.m.
- Victim sensitivity, gender-specific issues, cultural sensitivity and cultural competency
Day 6 — Wednesday, October 5, 6 - 9 p.m.
- Medical issues and concerns: SAFE-exam at hospital, STIs, pregnancy, morning-after pill
- Site visit: Reid Hosp ED; Other guest speakers: Planned Parenthood, EC Health Services
Day 7 — Sunday, October 9, 11 a.m. - 6:15 p.m. (Break 1 - 2:15 p.m.)
- Alcohol and other DFSA (date rape drugs), Safety assessment: depression, suicidal or homicidal ideations, interpersonal violence.
- College mental health issues/resources: Jessica.
- Concerns specific to college survivors: offender in same peer group, same class, who to tell?
- Guest speaker: Genesis House (interpersonal/dating/partner violence)
Day 8 — Wednesday, October 12, 6 - 9 p.m.
- Reporting: Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice System Guest speaker: Richmond PD
- College public safety Guest speaker: Dept of Safety
- College Protocols, Review Clery Act, Confidentiality and Conduct Board: Andrea
Day 9 — Wednesday, October 19, 6 - 9 p.m.
- Site visit: Courthouse and Prosecutor’s Office
- Campus/community resources: Understanding their roles, making referrals
Day 10 — Wednesday, October 26, 6 - 9 p.m.
- Bearing witness: Impact of being an advocate (secondary stress, vicarious trauma)
- Wrap up/review: Concerns, policies, advocate agreements, celebration!