Software Application Administrator
January 13, 2014
Earlham College invites applications for the position of Software Application Administrator in Information Technology Services. This is a full-time, 12-month administrative faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes a full-benefit package. This position reports to the Associate Director of Administrative Services.
The Software Application Administrator has the overall responsibility for the management of various third-party applications and databases that support portions of the college’s administrative systems. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, installation, configuration, upgrade, administration, monitoring and maintenance of the applications and their databases. The Software Application Administrator is expected to exhibit a high level of problem-solving ability and resourcefulness and be able to work on fairly complex systems with only general direction and supervision required.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide technical expertise in the administration of third-party applications and their databases, including upgrades, backup and recovery, and performance management, which support the business functions of the college.
- Develop and maintain integration of the applications with the College’s enterprise system, Ellucian’s Banner.
- Provide technical support for the following administrative applications:
- CBord’s HMS, PCS and Access Gold
- TMA Systems Maintenance Management Program
- CollegeNet’s 25Live
- Provide support and serve as a technical expert for the applications to the end users.
- Coordinate and implement the upgrades to the applications and their databases with administrative offices.
- Troubleshoot and work with vendor support centers for solutions to issues and problems.
- Create and manage user accounts within the applications, assigning the appropriate access and user level security.
- Develop and enforce security guidelines for production database access.
- May create user documentation and train personnel on application software.
- Research, test and implement new technologies with regards to the various administrative applications and their databases.
- Maintain currency of knowledge with respect to relevant state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems related to application management and support.
- Stay abreast of the latest issues surrounding third-party software through participation in related mailing lists, attending necessary training and conferences.
Experience & Qualifications
- Two or more years experience with software application administration is required.
- Ability to work in both Unix and Windows Server environments is required.
- Work experience and proficiency in SQL is required.
- Experience working in web-based environments.
- Experience in server-software installation, upgrade, configuration, troubleshooting and testing.
- Knowledge of computer and/or network security systems, applications, procedures and techniques.
- Knowledge of current technological developments/trends in area of expertise.
- Technical writing skills.
- Ability to install, maintain, modify and upgrade application and database software.
- Ability to provide technical guidance and leadership to professional personnel in area of expertise.
- Candidate should have the ability to demonstrate strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Candidate should be well organized; able to manage their time well and be able to work and communicate with users at all levels of computer knowledge.
- Candidate should have excellent people skills and a desire to provide exceptional customer service.
- Candidate should have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Candidates with experience providing technical support in a higher education environment are preferred.
Please send a letter of application that addresses the various responsibilities of the position; resume; and the name, position title, email address and phone number of three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, Indiana 47374-4095
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The preferred starting date is as soon as possible.
Earlham College continues to build a community that reflects the gender and racial diversity of the society at large, and, therefore, we are particularly interested in inviting and encouraging applications from African Americans, other ethnic minorities, and women. Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).