Seasonal Landscape Assistant — Facilities
February 18, 2014
Earlham College invites applications for the position of Seasonal Landscape Assistant in the Facilities Department. This position has variable hours, although typically 40 hours per week during the working season of March 31, 2014, through October 24, 2014. The pay level is the temporary rate of $9.50 per hour.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Weed control (spraying glyphosate and hand weeding).
- Annual flower planting and care.
- Flower pot transport and placement.
- Earlham Grounds graduation preparations.
- Shrub and tree pruning.
- Supervision of student, summer crew.
- Watering of newly planted trees and landscaping, as well as flowers.
- Spring cleanup of perennials.
Experience & Qualifications
- Ability to perform physically strenuous job duties, lift 40-50 lbs.
- Listen to and carry out instructions as given.
- Accept changes in daily task assignments and perform whatever tasks are most urgent.
- Be able to perform assigned tasks without constant supervision.
- Always interact in a positive manner with both student and other Earlham employees.
- Report to work modestly dressed and in closed toe shoes.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Commitment to working in a team setting on a college campus.
- Have a valid driver's license with clean driving record upon application, and at all times while employed by the College*.
Preferred skills include but not limited to the following:
- The ability to determine a weed from a plant that is being grown intentionally.
- The ability to drive a tractor and a truck, and to back up a trailer.
- Pruning knowledge.
- General plant knowledge.
- Experience using gardening and landscaping tools.
- Ability to use mowers and trimming equipment safely and efficiently.
*As a requirement of this position a background check will be done.
Qualified Earlham employees wishing to be considered among the applicants for this position should notify their supervisors and the Human Resources Office promptly. All applicants, whether or not they are current employees, should send a signed application form and/or resume to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
Applications will be reviewed at the discretion of the hiring supervisor, and the position will be filled by the end of March.
Application Form for Hourly Staff Positions
Earlham College continues to build a community that reflects the gender and racial diversity of the society at large, and, therefore, we are particularly interested in inviting and encouraging applications from African Americans, other ethnic minorities, and women. Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).