The following timetable is for students planning on matriculating into medical school in the Fall of 2015. For those going directly to medical school after graduating from Earlham, this would be those students entering their junior year in the Fall of 2013. As you can see, you must start applying to medical school more than a year before you intend to start.
Fall Semester 2013:
Be sure your AdviseStream portfolio is up to date including adding reflections for your classes and extracurricular activities.
Fall 2013 or Spring 2014:
Register for spring MCAT, OAT, DAT, or GRE. Information, including helpful hints on preparation for the MCAT may be found at the MCAT website. If you will be taking the August MCAT, register for it before you leave school for the summer, or at least pick up the form.
The OAT, DAT and GRE are offered at flexible times (see specific sites above for details).
Spring semester 2014: (January - April):
- Schedule interview appointment with the HCAC through AdviseStream.
- Request three faculty letters of recommendation to be written and the names sent to the Chief Health Careers Adviser, Michael Deibel. He will contact the faculty regarding the submission of these letters to the committee.
- Emphasize the importance of this date to your referees.
- Enroll in MCAT or other appropriate test prep program or begin self-study program.
- Mandatory meeting for applicants to all health schools in the coming summer.
Late Spring or early Summer 2014:
- Take the MCAT or appropriate tests.
April 15, 2014:
- Deadline for submitting one-page personal statement, faculty letters, and completed HCAC committee application materials via AdviseStream.
- Submit your summer address, telephone number, and, yes, your social security number.
- AMCAS applications may be downloaded from the AMCAS. Other common application services (CAS) may be downloaded from other sources, i.e. AACOMAS from the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine, etc. CAS may be initiated in early June.
June (1st week) 2014:
- First day AMCAS will accept applications. More than 80% of all U.S. AMCAS applications are submitted by June 30, Make sure yours is one of them!
June - August 2014:
- Complete non-AMCAS applications and secondary applications for AMCAS schools. Be aware of individual deadlines, but don't wait until just before these deadlines! Your chances are improved by completing your applications well in advance of the deadlines, and definitely before the end of August.
- Meeting with Michael Deibel or William Harvey of those who have applied to discuss the interview process.
- From then on: Interviews and acceptances!