The following timetable is for students planning on matriculating into medical school or other health professions schools in the Fall of 2017. For those going directly to medical school after graduating from Earlham, this would be those students entering their junior year in the Fall of 2015. As you can see, you must start applying to medical school more than a year before you intend to start.
Fall Semester 2015:
Be sure your AdviseStream portfolio is up to date including adding reflections for your classes and extracurricular activities.
Fall 2015 or Spring 2016:
Register for spring/summer MCAT, OAT, DAT, or GRE. Information, including helpful hints on preparation for the MCAT may be found at the MCAT website.
The OAT, DAT, PCAT, and GRE are offered at flexible times (see specific sites above for details).
Spring semester 2016: (January - April):
- Schedule interview appointment with the HCAC through AdviseStream.
- Request three faculty letters of recommendation to be written and the names sent to the Director of Health Careers Advising, Michael Deibel. He will contact the faculty regarding the submission of these letters to the committee.
- Faculty letters are due on April 1. Please emphasize the importance of this date to your referees.
- Enroll in MCAT or other appropriate test prep program or begin self-study program.
- Mandatory meeting for applicants to all health schools in the coming summer.
Late Spring or early Summer 2016:
- Take the MCAT or appropriate tests.
April 1, 2016:
- Deadline for submitting one-page personal statement, faculty letters, and having a completed AdviseStream account including profile, academics and engagement planner and application schools selected.
- Be sure your AdviseStream account includes your summer contact information (including phone number)
Late April 2016:
- Have an interview with the HCAC.
- AMCAS (MD) online applications will be open. Other common application services (CAS) will also open, i.e. AACOMAS from the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine, CASPA for Physician Assistant, SOPHAS for Public Health,... etc. CAS will be initiated in early June.
June (1st week) 2016:
- First day AMCAS will accept applications. More than 80% of all U.S. AMCAS applications are submitted by June 30, Make sure yours is one of them! Dates for other CAS services vary. These range from early summer to early fall (Sept/Oct). Please check the specific common application website and also consult with Michael Deibel on timing.
June - August 2016:
- Complete non-AMCAS applications and secondary applications for AMCAS schools. Be aware of individual deadlines, but don't wait until just before these deadlines! Your chances are improved by completing your applications well in advance of the deadlines, and definitely before the end of August.
- Meeting with Michael Deibel or William Harvey of those who have applied to discuss the interview process.
- From then on: Interviews and acceptances!