Student Employment

Many students receive financial aid packages that include awards identified as either: Federal College Work Study or, for international students, Earlham Work Awards.The Student Employment Office in Human Resources (Carpenter Hall) works with currently enrolled students to assist them with employment through:

  • Federal Work Study Award
  • Earlham Work Award
  • On Campus Non-Work Study
  • Off Campus Work Study
  • Positions for students paid through Earlham College including Winter Break and Summer

Go to MOODLE -- join Student Employment for job postings (for employment types listed above). Check the list for how to find a job, information on policies, and required paperwork for employment at Earlham.

Questions about Student Employment:  email Sonia Smith.

Questions about Student Payroll:  email Lena Beach.

Questions about your work award amount:  go to Financial Aid on the second floor of Tyler Hall.

Not sure where to go or who to contact with your question related to student employment at Earlham? Come by Human Resources 8-5, M-F, room #050, basement of Carpenter Hall and we can direct you. 

What is Federal Work Study?

Students who are financially eligible may receive a Federal College Work Study or another work program as part of their financial aid award. Work study benefits students by helping them to gain real-life work experience as they expand their career network and skills.

The amount of a work study allocation reflects an earnings cap and is not a guarantee that a student will receive the full amount of the allocation. To utilize work study, recipients must secure a position and complete their tax information forms that are available at the Student Payroll Office or the Human Resources Office in the basement of Carpenter Hall. Following being hired and completing their tax forms, students' supervisors must submit a completed student timesheet bi-weekly to the Student Payroll Office in Carpenter Hall basement. The timesheet should be signed by the student and supervisor.

Steps for Work Study:

  • Know your work study award amount and hours per week.
  • Complete tax forms with Lena Beach in the Student Payroll Office in the basement of Carpenter Hall.
  • Look on Moodle - Student Employment for on and off-campus work study positions.
  • Apply and interview (the Center for Career Education can help you with resumes, cover letters, etc.)

How do I find a job? Is a job assigned to me?

Students are not assigned positions and must secure a position on their own through Moodle - Student Employment.

Questions about your Federal Work Study award amount or qualifications?

The Financial Aid Office is located on the second floor of Tyler Hall. More information on work study is available at the Student Employment page on the Financial Aid website.

Fulfilling your Award Off-Campus

A unique experience available to Earlham students is the ability to fulfill work-study awards at work sites off-campus. A variety of community partners (often service oriented non-profit organizations) offer students opportunities to work at their site and contribute to bettering the Richmond/Wayne County community. More information about potential work sites, supervisors, and roles can be found listed on Moodle.

The EVE (Earlham Volunteer Exchange) Shuttle provides transportation to and from off-campus work study sites at non-profit organizations. Detailed information about the shuttle is available at the Bonner Scholars Office.

For more information about working on or off campus to fulfill your financial aid award, please contact the Student Employment Office or the Financial Aid Office.

Print Friendly and PDF

Earlham College, an independent, residential college, aspires to provide the highest-quality undergraduate education in the liberal arts, including the sciences, shaped by the distinctive perspectives of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).

Earlham College
801 National Road West
Richmond, Indiana
1-765-983-1200 — Main Switchboard
1-800-EARLHAM (327-5426) — Admissions