Earlham has for generations been one of the leading liberal arts colleges in the U.S. for percentage of graduates who go on to earn research doctorates, including the Ph.D. Through rigorous academics and careful advising, our students are strong candidates for top graduate programs.
Earlham's rank of research doctorates awarded to alumni by all disciplines
Earlham ranks 27th among 1569 institutions in the percentages of graduates who go on to earn Ph.D.s.
Earlham ranks 17th among 227 Baccalaureate Colleges of Arts and Sciences (private and public) in the percentage of graduates who go on to earn Ph.D.s.
Earlham graduates earned 26 Ph.D.s in 2012 alone.
Earlham's rank of research doctorates awarded to alumni by discipline
- Life Sciences — 10th out of 1357 institutions
- Geosciences — 34th out of 632 institutions
- Physical Sciences — 90th out of 1091 institutions
- Mathematics and Computer Science — 79th out of 1035 institutions
- Communication and Librarianship — 18th out of 848 institutions
- Social Science — 59th out of 1240 institutions
- Education — 47th out of 1470 institutions
- Psychology — 52nd out of 1297 institutions
- Religion —28th out of 836 institutions
- Business — 26th out of 1030 institutions
- Humanities— 56th out of 1269 institutions
- Art — 176th out of 841 institutions
Source: Higher Education Data Sharing consortium report, Fall 2012.
Medical School Facts
- 89% — Medical school acceptance rate among Earlhamites who have sought the assistance from the College’s pre-health advising program in the last 10 years.
- 45.6% — National percentage of applicants accepted to medical school in 2008.
- 37.3% — Acceptance rate of all U.S medical school applicants 2012 with average G.P.A. (3.54/4.0) and M.C.A.T. scores (28.3).
- 50% — Percentage of Earlham medical school applicants who participated in a semester long off-campus programs.
- 40% — Percentage of Earlham medical school applicants participated in a varsity sport.
Where they are going
Members of the Class of 2013 who were headed directly to graduate school were pursuing the following degrees.
- 30% — Master of Arts or Sciences
- 30% — Other master’s
- 10% — Law degree
- 25% — Ph.D.
- 5% — Other degree or certificate