Textbooks are located on the North side of the store. They are arranged on the shelves alphabetically by department, then numerically within the department. The first book for each course is on top of the shelf card, which lists all the titles needed for the course. The others follow as listed. Each course will be marked by its own shelf card. Interpretive Practices sections and Earlham Seminars are in their own areas; look for the signs. Earlham School of Religion and Bethany Theological Seminary courses also have their own locations.
Advantage of buying textbooks at the Bookstore:
- You know you are getting the exact editions and package that the instructor has ordered.
- No waiting period for shipment.
- The Bookstore also absorbs the shipping costs.
- Many titles are available used at 3/4 of the new book price.
- Should you need to return your book, your refund will be immediate.
- The money you spend stays on campus and supports the College.
- The Earlham College Bookstore is an independent retail store, the very kind big chain stores push out of the market.
When a Title You Need Has Run Out
Please check with a staff person to make certain there aren't any copies elsewhere in the store. If not, the Bookstore offers a special order service, free of charge. Simply fill out the special order card and when the book arrives in the store, we notify you via the campus mail. We will hold your book at the register for 48 hours, after which time, the book will be placed on the course shelf for general purchase.
Reserving Texts Online
You can purchase your textbooks on the Bookstore's website with the choice of having them shipped to you or held at the store for pick-up. The latter option requires no excess shipping fees and helps avoid the long lines during the first week of classes.
Should you change classes, or are considering several different ones, course books are returnable during the first week of classes. The requirements are:
- You must have your original receipt;
- Book must be in original condition (unmarked if new and shrink-wrapped if applicable);
- Refund is given in original method of purchase (if paid in cash refund comes in cash); and
- Use return window in west alcove of Runyan Center.
During finals week of Fall and Spring semesters, the Bookstore has a used book buy-back period. We pay half the new book price for titles we know will be used the following semester. When a used book company buyer is on hand, s/he will buy other titles as well. Book buy-back dates and locations are posted around campus in the weeks preceding finals week.
Other Available Merchandise
We offer 5,000 General and Reference titles in 20+ categories to supplement your academic reading. Included are books by Earlham and Bethany professors, alumni and students; literature in foreign languages; multi-cultural and prize-winning children's books. The Bookstore will also special order any books published within the U.S. for no additional charge. In addition to placing special orders, we also order books and CDs when guests lecture or artists perform at the college.
The Bookstore carries the Monday through Friday issues of Richmond's local paper, The Palladium-Item, and The New York Times on the day of publication. By prepaid subscription you can get The New York Times at $.45/day rather than the $1.25 cover price. In addition, the Bookstore has:
- School supplies: competitively priced notebooks, folders, blank disks & CDs, highlighters, flash-drive, and pens — some imprinted with Earlham's logo. Also see us for Ethernet cables and power strips.
- Health and beauty aids: cough drops and over-the-counter medicines, shampoo/conditioner, soap, toothpaste and tissues, and many other supplies.
- Candy and snacks
- Earlham College, ESR and Bethany clothing and memorabilia: find T-shirts, sweatshirts and hats to show off your school spirit, in sizes ranging from XS-3XL.
Trade books and general merchandise are returnable with receipt as long as they are still carried in the store or if the item is defective.
The Book Drop
A row of shelving is located at the entrance of the Bookstore for backpacks, shoulder bags and totes. In an effort not to confuse our cashiers and embarrass our customers, we respectfully ask that you do not enter the store with books, packages, or backpacks and bags. Also, we do not allow food and drink within the store.
The college does not allow students to charge Bookstore purchases to their Earlham student accounts. The Bookstore accepts cash, personal checks in the exact amount of the purchase, travelers checks, and VISA & Mastercard. Money orders and checks need to be made out to Earlham College and credit cards must be in the student's name. Also, a Bookstore debit account (using the student's Earlham-issued identification card) can be set up with a minimum deposit of $50.00. Balances over $10.00 will continue to transfer between academic years until the student graduates. This money can be used to purchase textbooks and all other materials available in the Bookstore.
Charges and Discounts for Faculty and Staff
The Earlham Bookstore offers charging privileges and a 10% discount (as clarified below) on all purchases by faculty, staff, their immediate families, retired persons and trustees of Earlham College, the Earlham School of Religion (ESR) and Bethany Theological Seminary (BTS).
Personal Charges: Total purchases of no less than $5.00 can be charged to the employee's personal account. Monthly billing is done by the Accounting Office and payments should be made to them.
Discounts: All faculty, staff, their families, retirees and trustees of Earlham College, ESR and BTS are entitled to a 10% discount storewide except for items specially marked "sale", merchandise reduced for sale, newspapers, and gift certificates. The 10% discount also applies to special orders as long as the discounted selling price is more than what the Bookstore has to pay for the item.
Spouses and dependent children are also entitled to the 10% discount and to charge to the employee's personal account.
Faculty and staff members are asked to identify themselves to Bookstore personnel when requesting discounts for personal purchases. If necessary, presentation of a College or Seminary ID card will be sufficient. (Not all faculty and staff personnel are known to all the Bookstore staff.)
Departmental Charges: Purchases can be charged directly to the department. At the time of purchase you will need to know the name and account number to be charged.
Departmental Discounts: Purchases by academic departments or administrative offices will be granted the following :
- Supplies (except "sale" items) will be discounted 25%; gifts (Earlham and Bethany imprinted products) will be discounted 20%.
- All other merchandise will be discounted 10% except when the price has been reduced for sale.
- All special order items on which the Bookstore was unable to receive a discount from the supplier/publisher will not be discounted to the office or department.
Desk Copy Information
Publishers expect desk copy requests to come directly from the faculty person, not the Bookstore. This can be done on department letterhead or on the Desk Copy Request Form available from the Bookstore.
When the requested desk copy does not come in time, the Bookstore can help the faculty member by supplying a copy of the book from our shelves. In such a case, the book should be charged to the respective department (not to a personal account) and when the desk copy comes in and is brought to the store, the account will be credited. To get credit, desk copies must be returned to the Bookstore within the term they are used, and must be new without any markings (cannot say "desk copy" or "complimentary"). Used copies must be returned by the fifth week of classes due to wholesalers' requirements. To issue credit correctly, when returning desk copies, we need to know when desk copies were taken and what department was charged.
Cancellation and Late Request of Course Titles
When a text title or the entire course is canceled after the books have been ordered and shipped by our vendor, the Bookstore's policy is to bill the department or professor for the round-trip shipping costs plus any penalties charged by the publisher. (The Bookstore will absorb the expense of all the staff time involved.)
Similarly, when it becomes necessary to process a late faculty request to assure books being here in time, the increased costs for rush shipping and handling will be the responsibility of the department involved.
It is assumed by the Bookstore that individual faculty members will have cleared these charges with the Department Chairperson.
Permission to Copy Materials
As faculty take advantage of the ability to readily copy materials for their classes it has become a deep concern of the publishing industry that the copyright laws be followed. To help all of us to understand the requirements, the National Association of College Stores and the Association of American Publishers have worked together to produce a pamphlet giving the rules in simple understandable terms. It is available from the Bookstore.
It is the responsibility of the professor who uses copyrighted materials to get the necessary permissions and pay the royalties, if any. The Bookstore can help with this process through our affiliation with the Copyright Clearance Center. Just send a completed Request Form for Copyright Permissions (pdf) to the Bookstore. (Please review the instructions (pdf) for this form.) Within three days we will have a response for each entry whether it is approved, denied, or further action is necessary. CCC has agreements with numerous publishers so they can approve many requests right away; however, some permissions take months, so please plan ahead. After approval has been received, CCC will bill us for the appropriate royalty fees. If you wish us to sell the copied materials along with other course books, we will add these fees into the selling price. If not, the department will be charged.
We recommend that Earlham's Campus Services do the copying. When you take in your originals you can discuss the format and binding to be used and, if we are to sell the material, ask them to charge the copying costs and deliver the finished items directly to the Bookstore. We will then calculate a selling price based on the copying costs, any royalty fees, plus 25% of the selling price for the Bookstore's services. Just be sure to let us know that the job is in the works so that we can plan accordingly.
We have found the above procedures to be quite efficient but we are very willing to discuss and work with your personal requirements. Please get in touch if we can be of service.
United Parcel Service (UPS) Shipments
The Bookstore currently has a contract with the United Parcel Service for daily pick-up. We make this service available to all departments, faculty and staff throughout the year. Since the Bookstore cannot provide staff time to box your packages, please bring them ready to ship and pay special attention to the following requirements and restrictions:
- The label will reflect the Bookstore as the return address, since we will handle any problems and claims.
- UPS will not accept any packages with wrapping paper on the outside. They require sturdy cartons. Mark out any old labels and addresses if recycling a box.
- Please use package sealing tape (not masking tape, duct tape, or Scotch tape which come loose in cold weather). Also avoid using string; it gets caught in their machinery.
- No package should be over 70 pounds or 130 inches in length and girth combined. Minimum charge for a package measuring more than 84 inches will be equal to the charge for a package weighing 30 pounds.
Your cost will be the actual shipping charge plus $1.50 for each package. We charge the department directly; personal shipments are handled on a cash basis. The Bookstore will not assume any liability but will be responsible for shipping your package within 24 hours (excluding weekends). In case of a lost shipment, we will institute a UPS tracer and claim.
Other details about United Parcel Service you may want to consider:
- It is a fast, safe and dependable way for shipments under 70 pounds per box. Packages are fully traceable.
- Every package is automatically insured by UPS up to $100.00 in value. Additional insurance can be purchased at $0.40 per $100.00 with a minimum of $1.20.
- All UPS services including Next Day Air, 2nd Day Air and 3 Day Select are available from the bookstore.
The Bookstore does not receive incoming UPS shipments for departments or individuals; these are delivered to Receiving at the Service Building. Also, this service is not available to students. They can make arrangements directly with UPS or take their packages to neighborhood UPS agents. Call (800) 855-5115 for locations.