Indiana State Identification Card
This card is issued by the administration of the State of Indiana through the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV). It is necessary to have a state identification card or a driver's license to write checks. A state ID card or driver's license is also useful in providing proof of age. To receive the ID you must apply in person at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. For a list of required application materials please consult the BMV's web site.
Indiana State Driver's License
To obtain a driver's license it is necessary to take both a written and driving test at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. The Bureau has a brochure available for people interested in acquiring a license. We suggest you get this brochure ahead of time as it provides all the necessary information for taking the test and obtaining a license. For further information, consult the BMV's web site.
BMV in Richmond
The Richmond BMV is located at 4503 National Road East and is open:
- Tuesdays 8:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Wednesdays 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Thursdays 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Fridays 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Saturdays 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- It is closed on Sundays and Mondays.
Contact the branch at (765) 962-5936
Social Security Number
The U.S. Social Security program is a pension and insurance fund for individuals who work and live in the United States. A Social Security Number is an identification card and number that is issued by the U.S. government. You are required to have a social security number in order to work in the U.S. Additionally, other institutions such as banks and cell phone companies often use this as an official form of identification.
All international persons must show the following documents in order to complete an application:
- Social Security Number Application form SS-5
- "Social Security Letter" provided by IPO which your employer must fill out and sign, which then must be signed by an International Student Adviser (Scholars may take their Earlham contract in leiu of a letter from IPO)
- Valid Passport (or official copy of Birth Certificate, if born in the U.S.)
- I-20 form
- Printed I-94 form
- One other piece of identification—a student ID card, driver's license, credit card, etc.
Social Security Office in Richmond
500 N A St
Richmond, IN 47374
Hours: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays: 9am-3:00pm
closed Federal Holidays