Earlham’s Summer Writing Initiative is a summer program that assists a select group of entering students gain experience with college level reading and writing. The curricular focus of the program is reading comprehension, vocabulary, and writing short analysis papers. Students live on campus for the three-week program and encounter a demanding workload each weekday. Weekends are a time for community building, group recreation, and free time for recuperation.
Tutors are assigned to work closely with three students: The tutors attend classes, meet daily with a professor, oversee their students’ study time, and assist with daily assignments. Tutors are expected to uphold Earlham’s Principals & Practices, model good study habits, and provide program assistance as needed. Tutors must successfully complete a condensed training program, three sessions, held during spring semester. Current or previous writing tutors (consultants) are not required to attend the training.
Student Administrators aid the professional administrator, serve as Area Directors of the SWI hall, and plan social activities. They also provide clerical assistance, transportation assistance, and assistance with the management of group projects and conduct. The ability to uphold and discuss Earlham’s Principals & Practices is an important part of the position. All student administrators must be able to become certified drivers for Earlham College.
Qualifications and Expectations
- A sound academic record (accumulated GPA of 2.80 or higher)
- The ability to relate to first-year students
- Good listening skills
- The ability to commit to the goals of SWI
- A good sense of humor
- Enthusiasm for Earlham’s academic and social atmosphere
For Student Administrators: RA experience is preferred; being an approved driver for Earlham is required
- $1,400 stipend plus all supplies, including room and board
Hiring Timeline for Tutors
- Completed applications are due to the Academic Enrichment Center by February 15, 2013.
- Interviews will begin on February 18, 2013.
- Potential tutors will be notified by the March 1, 2013.
- Potential tutors must actively participate in the three session tutor-training program that begins after spring break. Contracts will be available at the end of the training program.
Hiring Timeline for Student Administrators
- Completed applications are due to the Academic Enrichment Center by March 8, 2013.
- Interviews will begin on March 25, 2013.
- Selected candidates will be notified by the April 2, 2013.
2013 Mandatory Dates
Monday or Tuesday, July 15-16 — Student administrators arrive on campus
Wednesday, July 17 — Student administrators begin work; Tutors arrive
Thursday, July 18 – Friday, July 19 — Staff Orientation
Sunday, July 21 — SWI students arrive and the program opens
Friday, August 9 — SWI closes