Assistant Field Hockey Coach
June 25, 2015
Earlham College is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Field Hockey Coach in the Department of Athletics. This is a full-time, 11-month administrative faculty appointment. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes a full benefit package.
The Field Hockey Assistant Coach works to assist the Head Coach, performing all duties in compliance with all NCAA, North Coast Athletic Conference and Earlham College rules and regulations.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Build relationships with prospective student-athletes.
- Plan and host prospective student-athlete visits to campus.
- Assist head coach in responding to contacts generated both in and out of season. These include coaches’ mailings, attendance at showcases, observing tournaments, recruiting services and admissions contacts.
- Establish, update and maintain information in recruiting database (Front Rush).
- Perform phone calls and emails to recruits.
- Attend practices and/or games of recruits.
- Attend recruiting showcases.
- Office Duties
- Video coordinator: upload game film and edit video on HUDL, send video to opposing coaches within 3 business days of game.
- Assist the head coach with travel itinerary for bus and vans, overnight accommodations, and team meals.
- Assist the head coach with monitoring academic progress of current student-athletes.
- Be a presence in the office, able to assist player needs.
- Assist players with time management and coordinate study tables.
- Practice/Player Development
- Assist head coach with daily practice plan.
- Assure playing field is setup: goals, scaffolding and other essential equipment.
- Assist in overseeing weight training and individual workouts.
- Assist in designing off-season workouts for player improvement.
- Scouting/Game Preparation/Game Day Duties
- Assist head coach in game planning and scouting of future opponents.
- Assist with game decisions, i.e. timeouts, substitutions, strategy and addressing individual player concerns during games.
- Perform duties of trainer, manager and scorer; coordinate pass list; manage med kit, water bottles, warm-ups, blood jersey and stats.
- Post-game duties: video exchange, arrange team meal, secure statistics and contact sports information director.
- Equipment Manager
- Set-up locker room, issue player practice gear and practice field equipment
- Distribute game uniforms and warm-ups.
- Launder practice and game uniforms.
- Set up game venue for home game competitions.
- Collect and inventory all uniforms and equipment after season.
- Assist with all program fundraisers.
- Be knowledgeable and able to assume head coaching responsibilities in case the head coach is unable to perform her duties.
- Be an active member of the athletics department staff by attending staff meetings, supporting other athletic programs and being responsive to the needs of departmental support staff (director of athletics, support staff, athletic trainer, sports information director, equipment manager).
Experience & Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree is required; a master’s degree is preferred.
- Previous collegiate coaching experience, preferably at a NCAA Division III school, or success as a head coach at the high school level.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional leadership and a commitment to, and understanding and appreciation of, NCAA Division III athletics and wellness in a private liberal arts college.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience working on a campus with a diverse student body.
- A current and valid driver’s license is required.
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references as a single electronic file to the Human Resources Office at Earlham College. The email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The review of applications will begin immediately.
Earlham College continues to build a community that reflects the gender and racial diversity of the society at large, and, therefore, we are particularly interested in inviting and encouraging applications from African Americans, other ethnic minorities, and women. Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.