329 Landrum Bolling Center
Set by appointment
Professor of Sociology/Anthropology
- Human Development and Social Relations
- Ph.D., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- M.A., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- B.A., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
SOAN/ENST-327: "Indigenous Peoples & Environmental Justice," which focuses primarily on indigenous peoples in the Western Hemisphere, and especially in Canada and the U.S. Environmental issues serve as a lens through which to analyze each of the following topics: 1) traditional subsistence practices; 2) historical injustices brought about by forces of colonization and capitalist expansion; and 3) contemporary struggles for environmental justice.
Under development through a current Ford/Knight project, which serves as a pilot, is "Environmental Justice & Public Health: Thinking Globally, Acting Locally." This course considers how pollution from industrial activities results in environmental and health problems, how these burdens are often disproportionately borne by disadvantaged and marginalized communities. We also consider ways in which affected communities and activists are fighting back.
Deborah Jackson is a cultural anthropologist, and for many years has focused her research on indigenous peoples, especially Native Americans in the U.S. and First Nations in Canada. As she got to know these communities, Deborah could not ignore pollution’s impacts on them and their homelands. Deborah has since expanded her focus to include environmental anthropology, and now teaches courses like “Indigenous Peoples & Environmental Justice.”
Deborah says that most of her Earlham students display “a spirit of caring — about each other, about Earlham, about the larger community of Richmond, Indiana, and about issues and events occurring throughout the United States and in locations around the world.” She finds this culture of caring to be an inspiration to her own work.
- American Anthropological Association
- American Ethnological Association
- Society for the Anthropology of North America
- Central States Anthropology Society
- Anthropology & Environment Section of AAA
- Society for Medical Anthropology
- Society for Applied Anthropology
- Canadian Anthropological Society/Société Canadienne d’Anthropologie (CASCA)